Arizona common law marriage autopsy consent

They are seperated now but he worked in cthe constructtion trade as a contractor. I was married to her ten tyears. Will, if she chooses to,be allowed to draw on my social Security? Hi Bill. Your divorced spouse generally cannot collect benefits on your record unless her current marriage ends whether by death, divorce or annulment.

  1. 1 CA-CV 16-0659 - ZWICKY V. PREMIERE VACATION - 1/23/2018.
  2. But First, Get the Estate’s Finances in Order?
  3. Responsible for the Debt of a Deceased Spouse or Loved One?!
  4. free public criminal records new york.

My wife is on a permanent resident 10 year green card. She is from Mexico. I am presently 64 years old. When my wife reaches 62 years old she will have been on a green card for 12 years. She will not have enough credits points to draw any social security at age My question is as follows. I applied for spousal benefits off of my ex husband. He is deceased now. The SS office told me that I need to get a copy of my divorce papers and marriage licenses.

I did get the copy of the marriage licenses but when I went to get the divorce papers the county has no records of my divorce. They think it was never filed. Like I said my ex is deceased. I have no way to track what happened. We were not speaking at the time we divorced and I never got a copy of the papers. Now social security tells me I cannot get his social security until I produce divorce papers.

What do I do? Hello Ms. Simpson, you must provide the documents required to prove that you meet all the requirements necessary to be entitled to the benefit you are claiming. As a Surviving Divorced Spouse , you must provide proof that your marriage lasted 10 years or more. In this case a marriage certificate and a divorce decree is needed to show the length of the marriage. We do not have access to personal records in this blog and in your case, is best to continue working with the Social Security office handling the claim, they can advise you as to what other alternatives or other types of evidence you need to submit.

I will be 67 in December, living on Social Security. I am positive he made far more money than I did in his work years and I believe he is retired now. Must I wait till he passes away to receive benefits from his Social Security? Thank you for your question Constance. If you are receiving benefits on your own record, we pay that amount first.

However, if the benefit on his record is a higher amount, you will get a combination of benefits that equals a higher amount. For questions and to check if you qualify for additional benefits contact your local office , or call our toll-free number at Question: If I married abroad over 36 years ago and have been separated from that spouse for over 30 years — is that person considered my legal spouse in the United States?

What does the government consider my marriage status to be? Could you help me with that? I want to file as Single, but want to make sure. I am about to divorce my husband for the second time. First time we were married for 10yrs. We stayed divorced for 13 months and then remarried. Our second marriage lasted 12 yrs My question is can I get his SS pension if he dies if he marries again or not and if I get to retirement age and he is still alive do I get any of his SS benefits? Thank you for your question Apr. You may also qualify as a Surviving Divorced Spouse. If you qualify to receive benefits on your own record, we pay that amount first.

If you have additional questions, please call our toll-free number at Can you answer this? Hi Angie and thank you for your question. For retirement benefits, we generally allow up to six months of retroactivity payments. No retroactive benefits are payable for any month before individuals reach their full retirement age.

Sometimes, a person may be entitled to more than one benefit at the same time and may receive a combination of benefits equaling a higher amount. Also, in your case, there are Delayed Retirement Credits issues to consider. In your situation, it is best to contact your local office or to call our toll free telephone number at , Monday through Friday between 7 a. I have lived on S. I was married for 10yrs. He remarried and his wife died many years later.

It is now I would like to know: If he is on S. Hi Linda! However, if you are receiving Supplemental Security Income or SSI benefits, you are required to file for benefits under his record as soon as you become eligible at age Remember that your SSI benefit is also based on the income you receive, we will be able to tell you the exact amount of your total benefit amount when you apply.

I am 51 years old and I was married for over 20 years. And during that time I was a housewife and raising our children. After our divorce I never remarried and neither will I be going to. After the divorce I moved to Germany and currently I am working have been for 10 years and paying into the German retirement system. Nevertheless my salary is very small.

That is why I should be drawing benefits from my ex husband since he has always earned much more money. Is it correct that I will receive approx. Would I be getting benefits only for the years I was married or until my ex-husband will apply for social security benefits himself? How will I know when my ex husband will apply for benefits with 62 or 67? Does that even matter? How do I find out how much benefits I can draw from his account? And last but not least how do I apply for getting my SSN statement online? The system asks for an American address, which I do not have.

I desperately need advise on this complicated matter. You may be eligible for Divorced Spouse benefits at age 62, and your ex-husband does not have to be receiving benefits but must be of retirement age 62 and qualify for retirement benefits. Also, persons who are not U. Social Security benefits while outside the U.

If you are a U. You can also contact the local U. They were married over 10 years, but so were we; in fact, we were married for a much longer time. They were married when they were in their late 20s and divorced in their late 30s. We have been married since our late 40s, so. Thank you for your question Joellyn. A divorced spouse of a worker who dies, could get benefits jut the same as a widow , provided that their marriage lasted 10 years or more. If you need more information or to apply contact our toll free number at Monday through Friday between 7 a.

Hello- I am on SS disability and my ex husband is Or do I have to wait until he is 62?? Thank you for your question Kristi. He would also have to be of retirement age at least 62 , and you must have been divorced for at least two years. We must pay you benefits on your own record first, but if you qualify for a higher benefit amount on his record, then you will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount. Only a widow or the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, could get benefits at age 60 or at age 50 if she is disabled under our rules, provided that the marriage lasted 10 years or more.

I became disabled at age 45 while I was married. We divorced after over 25 years. I remarried. Do you have any idea??? Thanks, Robin. Both of us were divorced and married over 10 years each the first time. He is 10 years older than I am and has been on full social security for over 5 years. Great question Janet. If you are eligible for both your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first.

If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling a higher amount. Also, we have work provisions that allows you to work and receive your retirement benefits. I am a surviving divorced spouse married 17 years and not remarried , and will be 66 in February, My ex died at age 61 and 7 months, and was not receiving social security benefits.

When I am 66 his age would be 63 yrs and 7 months. Once I turn 66, am I eligible to collect any social security benefits on his credits, since he was not 62 when he died? I lived with my ex in Conn.

Common Law Marriage Rights in California

Would I possibly be able to collect any type of soc. Marie, your question is more complex than we can address in this forum. Please call us at TTY between 7 a. I know a ex-wife within parameters can get SS based on her ex-husbands paid in Social Security—even though she was a housewife and never paid in herself—as has been discussed in this article.

But what about SSDI? Also, does receiving a small amount of alimony effect this? Typo Correction: 25 year marriage ends in divorce. I am 59, my ex-husband is We were married for 20 years and have been divorced for 12 years. I have a friend who wife passed away can he receive his social security and apply for widower benefits to. First of all, Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies. He can apply for retirement or survivors benefits now and switch to the other higher benefit at a later date. If he is already receiving retirement benefits, he can only apply for benefits as a widower if the retirement benefit he is receiving is less than the benefits he would receive as a survivor.

Your friend can call us at Monday through Friday, from 7 a. I am 62 and my divorced ex is Married more than ten years. Divorced more than two. Not remarried. Can I file and start receiving on my record now and then file for additional benefits on his record when he turns 62? Great question Jo. You can apply for your benefits now and then later, see if you qualify for a higher benefit as a Divorced Spouse.

You are correct, your ex-spouse must be at least age In the meantime you can complete the online application for your Social Security Retirement benefits in as little as 15 minutes. I thought that my claim for ex-spouse benefits was supposed to be a private affair between me and Social Security anyway. Why is Social Security involving my ex-husband anyway? Generally, when we find a discrepancy in regards to date of birth, then we need to correct it. The primary proof of age is the original copy of his birth certificate. My second husband just passed away and my first husband is also deceased.

How can I find out what his benefits would be if no records exist? Can you clarify the following: Spouse A and Spouse B are married for 25 years and then divorce. Spouse A participated in and will have social security retirement. Spouse B worked in a government pension system and did not participate in and is not entitled to social security on her own record. Hi, I am 59 and getting a divorce, married 29 years. Can I draw my social security at 62 and switch over to my ex husbands at my full retirement age? His social security is higher than mine. My husband is only 56 at this time.

I was married for 40 years when divorced in I remarried after the age of 64 and read that I might be eligible for spousal benefits from my second husband when I turn 66 in January , His earnings were much higher than my ex-husbands. Is this information correct? Thank you for your question Mary. However, a pension based on work that is not covered by Social Security for example, Federal civil service and some State or local government agencies may cause the amount of your Social Security benefit to be reduced.

To see additional eligibility requirements and for more information in this subject visit our Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced. I am single and was married for 31 years. I have been working as a teacher for 16 years and paying into the pension system. I see on the SS website that I am entitled to some social security based on my work record before becoming a teacher, but, of course, it will be reduced because of the windfall law. If so, how much will it be reduced? Good question, Carolyn. A pension based on work that is not covered by Social Security for example, Federal civil service and some State or local government agencies, such as police officers and some teachers may cause the amount of your Social Security benefit to be reduced.

I started taking my social security benefit at age I am now 75 years old. I was married two times, both more than 10 years and I am now divorced from my second husband. My first husband passed away 3 years ago. Can I claim benefits as a surviving spouse on his account? My second spouse is still alive an over 67 years old. He is now claiming his benefit and I am wondering if I have the right to claim on his benefit? If I were entitled to one or both of this spousal benefits, once I decide on one, can I change at a later date once the second spouse dies?

Please help as I think I have been receiving less than what is authorized under social security regulations. Can my ex spouse who is older and already filed and receiving his own SS now receive a portion of my SS that will be more than his current smaller benefit. Can he file for mine after he has already filed for his? What happens in a situation where you have an ex-wife married for 10 year and children and a current wife married for 39 years and children , the husband dies he is Who is entitled to his ss check?

Sheila, both the ex-wife and the current wife could get benefits. If you are referring to Social Security benefits, in addition to meeting other factors of eligibility, to qualify for and to receive Divorced Spouse benefits, the marriage must have lasted 10 years or longer. HI Ray, how come you did not answer my question dated the ? If you have questions you can email me directly. Hi Nancy, we apologize if we missed your initial question. Unfortunately, your questions are a bit more complex than we can handle in this blog.

In your situation, it will be best to speak with one of our representatives. Please call our toll free number at from 7 a. Monday through Friday or visit your local Social Security office. My former sister in law was married to my brother for 22 yrs in AZ. They divorced and she moved in with a man who she has lived with over 11 yrs in OR.

She never married him in order to continue to receive alimony. My brother has recently passed away and I was wondering if there is any way to prevent her from collecting his social security benefits? What if I file for divorce before 8. Does that mean he gets it too? Can I protest this? What about my new husband? Does that mean he gets nothing?

Also, does my ex collecting under my name, does that mean I will get less? There has to be a way to STOp this. Hello Mishell. The amount of benefits payable to your divorced spouse has no effect on the amount of benefits you or your current spouse may receive. We hope this information helps answering your questions. Hi Charles! Benefits issued through our Supplemental Security Income or SSI program are based on the needs of the individual and are only paid to the qualifying person.

Benefits paid through our Social Security Disability Insurance SSDI program, in certain circumstances, are payable to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. My ex is 63 and I am 64 — both our birthdays are in August. Do I have to be 66 to do that? I would like to ask if I can collect survivors benefits from my wife when our marriage last long 8 years but after we divorced we live together for more than 5 years after she died?

Does an ex spouse override a current spouses ability to collect on his SS when dies? How does that work. My wife and I are going through a divorce. Have been married for just over 2 years. She lives in Texas and I live in Mississippi. My question is, is she really entitled to anything from me since we have only been married for 2 years? I need help. To whom this may concern…my ex and I have been divorced for over 15 years…he just remarried a year ago and I am still single…. Just a question for my friends mom.

Hello Matthew, according to our rules, an individual may be eligible for Divorced Spouse Benefits if he or she was legally married to the worker for at least 10 years before the date the divorce became final. I have two children under the age of We had been married 19 years and he turned 60 last year. How can I start collecting on his SS benefits. My ex wife was born January 15th I was born in We were married more than 10 years and legally divorced. She never remarried. Will she be able to collect benefits based on my record? Whom should she contact?

I am a divorced married 18 years spouse, caring for a disabled adult child of the NH.

I am age I had just bearly enough time thru my working years to draw retirement benefits because I was caring for our daughter. I have been reading that a divorced spouse that is caring for a child or disabled adult child receives benefits with no reduction at age I have read it numerous places on the ss websites, but they are still reducing mine.

Thank you for your question, E. For your security, we do not have access to personal records in this venue. We encourage you to contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at , Monday through Friday, between 7 a. Did the change in SSA law in late affect the divorced spouse benefit in my case? Is this still true? Thank you for your question, Karen. The new law will be implemented on a prospective basis only. Our legislative and policy staffs are diligently working with Congress to analyze the intent of the legislation and update our instructions.

Please check back for updates. I have legally been married for 16 years, and have 2 children with my husband, however we have not lived together for the past 14 years. He currently receives social security because he is very ill and unable to work, thus my 2 children receiving social security benefits as well. If he were to pass away, will my children continue to receive benefits, and would I receive benefits for being his legal wife? Thank you for your questions Jessica. Normally, Benefits For Children stop when children reach age 18, unless they are disabled.

However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary or elementary school at age 18, Social Security benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first. Hope this information helps. I am 66 and plan to work until age My benefit will increase every month.

Question, does the survivor benefit increase as well? Good question Eugene. As a general rule, survivors benefits based on age will be about the same total Social Security benefits over a lifetime, whether they start early or at full survivors retirement age. If monthly benefits start before full retirement age, the amount is smaller to take into account the longer period a person receives them. This chart lists full retirement ages for survivors based on year of birth. Click on the year of birth to find out how much the benefit will be reduced if someone begins receiving survivors benefits between age 60 and full retirement age.

In the other hand, a widow er of a worker who had received or was eligible for delayed retirement credits , then the widow er is also entitled to the same increase that had been applied to the benefit of the deceased spouse or for which the deceased was eligible as of the time of death. Take care. Hi Janet. SSDI pays benefits to those who cannot work due to a disability that is expected to last at least one year or result in death, providing that person has paid enough into the Social Security program.

My first husband of 28 years died 3 years ago at the age of I have since remarried and plan to divorce my second husband. I know I would not qualify for his SS benefits since we have been married well under 10 years, and do not care to. My question is, may I collect social security benefits from my deceased husband when eligible, even though I have remarried?

What age would I be eligible? No one ever answered my question from back in January. Will someone please answer this for me? I know I would not qualify for my second husbands SS benefits since we have been married well under 10 years. A friend of mine received SS benefits as a divorced widow. She married again, informed the Administration about her marriage and benefits were terminated.

However, this second marriage lasted for a very short time. Thank you for clarifying this issue. I would appreciate your comments. Thank you, Gloria M. Hi Gloria, our apologies if we missed your question before. As a divorced spouse of a worker who died , your friend may be eligible to receive benefits just the same as a widow. For specific questions and to see if she is eligible for benefits now, your friend should call us at , Monday through Friday, between 7 a. My mother 71 was married to my father 71 from — He is remarried to another woman for 30 years.

She remarried for about 9 years but just got divorced. The person at social security told me she needed his ss number. I called him and he refused. I think he is being spiteful or just really thinks that it will affect his payment he gets a pension from the new york police dept.

Recent Appellate Opinions | Burch & Cracchiolo, P.A. | Phoenix, Arizona Attorneys At Law

He is a retired NYPD officer but has been in the private sector for awhile now. Hi Evelyn, we are sorry for the inconveniences. Your mother should be able to provide our representatives with other identifying information about your father. Also, she will be required to provide more detailed information about herself and her previous marriages. If your mother is eligible for Divorced Spouse Benefits , the amount of benefits she receives has no effect on the amount of benefits your father or his current spouse may receive.

Your mother should call us back at and ask a representative to assist her. I was married to a ex military not active at the time for less than 10 years. We had a daughter that was born with a lack of oxygen which is now 36 an unable to get into a school or a job. SS benefits have been applied for and now on appeal. My ex husband re-married and never had children, additionally, we have not heard from him in more than 15 years and saw my daughter a few times before.

Is she entitled to benefits from him? He might be retired at this point but do not know where he is. Hi Carmen.

Claims Relating to Improper Selection and Administration of Anesthesia

I have a question. My mom was married to my father for more than 30 years. They lived apart for most of that time. He lived with another women as well. My mother finally filed for a divorce four months ago and appeared in court last week to finalize it. A day later, I discover my father passed away two weeks prior to the hearing.

Our social media accounts

I informed my mother who informed the lawyer and the judge. Anyway, my questions is…is my mother entitled to any benefits since she was still legally married up until his death? Or is the other women entitled to it??? Any information will be appreciated. A widow or a surviving divorced spouse of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, could receive reduced benefits as early as age If she is eligible, your mother can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at TTY or visiting her local Social Security office.

An appointment is not required, but if she calls ahead and schedules one, it can significantly reduce her waiting time at the office. Please visit our Survivors Benefit Planner to see what information and documents she may need to apply.

  1. new jersey manufacturerers insurance id number.
  2. Accessing Deceased Patient Records—FAQ | Journal of AHIMA.
  3. Consent for Autopsies.
  4. free cell phone number search pa.
  5. can people track you using your cell phone?
  6. Some Basic Info.

I am married to my husband he will start getting his ss check in april he will be 62 I am 59 can I draw half at 62 not divorced married43 years just wanted to know if I can draw at My ex and I lived together and bought a house in Aug , the year before we actually got married. We were married April , and divorced in Sept If I can show proof of living together and proof of house purchase, can I be eligible for his SS benefits, when I turn 62? Hello Kmaymaj, according to our rules, at age 62, an individual may be eligible for Divorced Spouse Benefits if he or she was legally married to the worker for at least 10 years before the date the divorce became final.

That helps out so much but food and housing will be really tight. Normally, benefits for children stop when children reach age 18, unless they are disabled. SSA communications are always terrible. Their communications are always awful! She does work her butt off and she has not been married since then. So should she apply or wait for 8 more years? Please help me Thanks. Hi Jason, a surviving divorced spouse of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, could receive reduced benefits as early as age Please visit our Survivors Benefit Planner for more information.

I will be 62 this year. When my husband passed away we were married for 9 years and 4 months. Does that mean I am ineligible for spouse benefits since the marriage was less than 10 years? If you are the widow of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can receive reduced benefits as early as age 60 age 50 if disabled. The year marriage rule applies to a surviving divorced spouse. Please contact your local Social Security office. Call our toll free number at and ask one of our representatives to assist you.

Then she felt collecting his for those few years would not reduce my full amount later. What is the SS rule now? I was married for 10 yrs. During that time I became disabled in Divorced in I was told that I could get a check from his ss. Can I and if so at what age? What month does one begin receiving social security benefits based on their birthday.

Assuming one waits until full retirement. Born Birthday is April Do full benefits begin in the month of April, ? The first check would be deposited via Direct deposit when? I husband recently died.

Accessing Deceased Patient Records—FAQ

He had an Ex-wife that owned him a lot of money through a quick claim deed on a house that she never did pay. Now that he has passed away,how do I collect the money she owned him. Can I write this off as a tax loss. Hi Ann! You should touch base with an accountant in your state regarding your specific tax situation. He was 25, living with his fiance and thier son as a married couple. She got the tax return the day he died. Who is legally and morally resposible for expenses?

Hi Vicky. Hope that helps! I have a domestic partnership. My partner passed away and left medical bills that are unpaid. Am I responsible for these bills. We are both owners of our house and I wonder if there could be a lean on it. Hi Linda! You should reach out to your local Bar Association for legal advice. If my mom and dad were married in my mom passed away but she was on his insurance is he obligated to pay her final bills ambulance food stuff like that. Hi Nate. My husband passed away 3 months ago. I am on social security disability. Am I responsible for his medical bills. Hi Doreen!

The law protects Social Security benefits from being taken to cover medical debt. My mom recently passed away. She lived in an apartment that rent was income based. The first week was dedicated to planning her services and of course, our own period of mourning. She informed me that normally they expect it to be vacated in 14 days.. Hi Lisa! Hi Angie! My father passed away in Oct and now my mother has been contacted by a collection agency regarding a lease my father consigned for my sister. My mother was unaware.

  • how to search for criminal records free.
  • birth henderson karen louise record.
  • oklahoma free criminal background checks osbi public record.
  • Alcor: Protecting Yourself in Medical Emergencies.
  • Death and Divorce.
  • It was done in Is my mother responsible for this debt? They lived in Fl when he signed the lease but lived in TN when he died. Hi Marcy! My dad just pass away he was paying on a new truck can my mom keep tge truck and just keep paying the monthly notes? Hi Tammy! Hi James! Hi Michael. This depends on your state, so I cannot help without more details. I hope that helps! Hi Shelly!

    Good luck. My Husband will be getting a large amount of money soon from a Famliy a state. Hi Alice! You can consult with your state Bar for state-specific advice! My husband passed away, he purchased furniture in his name only Am I responsible to pay this this bill? Living in GA. Hi Phyllis! Georgia is not a community property state, so likely not, but you should consult with a local lawyer! I hope that is helpful! My husband passed away from cancer in November we do not own a home. We only had a joint small savings account. The car has always been under my name, no will.

    He passed away in New York but we live in Florida. Am I responsible for hospital bills. Hi Kathy! Best of luck! Hi Diane! In CT, most likely not, but I suggest reaching out to your local Bar association as we do not give legal advice. My husband had a friend that became homeless and sleeping in his car. He was with us for a little over 2 months going in and out of the hospital with complications from cirrhosis of the liver.

    He is now in hospice care. When he passes will we be responsible for his medical debt. He used our address when he went into the hospital. If you have not signed for anything and are not legally responsible for him, most likely not. I suggest reaching out to your local Bar association for legal advice, though.

    My partner of 20 years passed away 3 mouths ago he was paying off a truck that was in his name the truck was stolen out side our home the night we had barried him he had insurance on it can they take what is owned out of that insurance. My daughter died in , she worked had 2 children with a guy, they bought a house together. Although they were both seeing someone else, she left an insurance policy with NO beneficiary.

    I lost my first daughter 2 years before that. Now I am being taken to court to pay all the funeral expenses. Am I liable. Hi David! My husbands funeral expenses were paid off by his family without my knowledge. Am I obligated to pay them back? Hi Danette! We have seen many cases where patients thought they had made careful plans, but circumstances conspired against them.

    Very often, the prospect of imminent death may be so stressful to family or close friends, they feel a deep instinctive need to do what they feel is right instead of what you asked them to do. Also, we have seen money become an issue. Relatives who genuinely care for a patient can also become unexpectedly concerned about financial issues.

    We have also seen relatives exert emotional pressure on a patient to change financial arrangements a few weeks or even a few days before death. Sometimes a cryonics patient becomes his own worst enemy. All we can do is urge you to give durable power of attorney for healthcare to a person who cares deeply about your welfare and is absolutely determined that you should receive the best possible cryopreservation, if this is what you really want.

    In an effort to avoid unpleasant surprises, we urge you to talk to your family about cryonics. It is always better to raise the topic of cryonics while there is time for your family to get used to the idea. We suggest that you simply explain what you want, without being confrontational or trying to convert people to your point of view. If you nag your relatives too much, they may pretend to go along with the idea of cryonics just to stop you from talking about it.

    Your objective is simply to establish your wishes, and find out how people respond. If any of your relatives dislikes or disapproves of cryonics, please notify us so that we can include a memo in your file. This document confirms that your relatives will not interfere with your cryopreservation, and is a very effective way to protect you. You should also raise the topic of cryonics with your primary care physician. Ideally your will should include a section explaining and affirming your outlook on cryonics and your desire for cryopreservation after legal death.

    Another important step is to make a short video in which you describe your desire for cryopreservation calmly, rationally, and firmly.

    But First, Get the Estate’s Finances in Order

    If there is any dispute in the future, a video is the best possible evidence that you made a fully informed decision. Your statement should be factual and brief. Just say what you want, and make it clear that this is a deep, lasting desire, not just a transient whim. If possible, make the video with at least two people watching you. They may serve as witnesses at a later date. You should answer the following questions in your video. You may want someone to actually ask these questions while you are on-camera, or you can write cue cards to remind you of the questions.

    Either way, every answer should be a complete sentence making a complete statement. Say: "I am making this video on. Say: "I am [so many] years old. Alcor should receive a copy of this video for storage with your membership documents. Another copy should be given to the person who has your durable power of attorney for health care. You should also make a new video at least every five years to reaffirm your preferences and prevent anyone from suggesting that your video was obsolete because you changed your mind after you made it.

    All aspects of cryonics entail some risk. At Alcor, we work as hard as we can to minimize the risk of brain damage while you are in our care. These are the steps you should take:. Only you can take these steps. From outside the United States, call Protecting Yourself in Medical Emergencies Legal Options for Alcor Members in the United States Published by Alcor Foundation Scottsdale, Arizona This paper discusses a few of the ways an Alcor member can deal with the medical-legal system to increase the chances for a good crypreservation.

    Avoiding Autopsy An autopsy is a postmortem surgical procedure in which the patient is dissected to establish the cause of death. Coroners and Medical Examiners The role of a coroner originated in England around AD as an official who determined the cause of death. Your Medical Surrogate If you are near death, you may lapse into a coma.

    We offer these suggestions: Your surrogate should be younger than you and in good health, to maximize the chance that he or she will outlive you. If you wish to be cryopreserved after death, your surrogate should be fully informed about cryonics and very sympathetic toward cryonics. Choose someone who is smart, highly motivated, and has good social skills.

    Although it is common to choose a spouse or close family member as your surrogate, you may choose any other person as well. If you do not choose a family member, that person should not be a beneficiary in your will who might benefit, or appear to benefit, from your death.

    Your surrogate cannot be an officer or employee of your cryonics organization but may be a member of your cryonics organization. To Resuscitate, or Not to Resuscitate When the heart stops beating and the patient stops breathing, legal death may be pronounced. Expect the Unexpected We have seen many cases where patients thought they had made careful plans, but circumstances conspired against them. Confer with your Family In an effort to avoid unpleasant surprises, we urge you to talk to your family about cryonics.

    How old are you? Where are you making the video? What are the names, addresses, and social security numbers of any people watching you make the video? Witnesses can be extremely valuable, and although social security numbers were never intended be used for identification, it can be a very powerful tool for locating people many years in the future.

    Are you speaking of your own free will? Are your statements on the video your own words expressing your personal feelings? Are you currently in good health?